An extension of Godfrey Nixon Way in George Town is about three months away from being completed, officials said. When finished, it will stretch from the traffic lights, past the Blue Marlin restaurant and bar on Eastern Avenue, and end by Da Fish Shack restaurant on North Church Street. The Godfrey Nixon Extension will enable motorists travelling from Eastern Avenue and the current Godfrey Nixon Road, a shorter and quicker commute to the heart of downtown George Town.
· Land acquisition – following the requisite land acquisitions, National Roads Authority (NRA) demolished several properties in December 2020 and January 2021.
· Clearing of the alignment. Construction of the Sub-base, drainage well installation, curb and gutter installation.
· Installation of Utility infrastructure commenced in late February and will continue pending completion of land acquisition.
The Rex Crighton Boulevard (formerly the East West Arterial) will be expanded by two miles from Hirst Road to east of Woodland Drive in Bodden Town.
Site clearing and preliminary filling has commenced – Topographical Survey and Final Design of Phase 1 (the section from Hirst Road to Woodland Drive) are in progress.
· Sub-base works to commence in early March
· NRA is finalizing design of the intersection of Hirst Rd and East-West Arterial, as well as options for the Intersection with Shamrock Rd at the eastern end of this segment.
· NRA are in discussions with the National Conservation Council to consider undertaking an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) concurrently with design / construction of Phase 2 from Woodland Dr to Lookout Gardens.
The NRA along with the Ministry of CPI is working to improve the commute for motorists coming from east during their morning commute as well as the drive home during their evening commute. These enhancements are part of a longer term project to widen the East West arterial. To date we have widened the Rex Crighton Blvd, Hurley Merren Blvd and multiple roundabouts, which include Dr. T, Red Bay, Century 21 (Grand Harbour) and CUC (Silver Oaks).
Dr Tomlinson Roundabout CLICK HERE
Red Bay Roundabout CLICK HERE
Century 21 (Grand Harbour) Roundabout CLICK HERE
Set to take place from CUC Roundabout to Chrissie Tomlinson Roundabout. Phase 1 complete.
Phase 2 - along Grand Harbour: CUC installing new poles and relocating infrastucture are ongoing.
Following that NRA will complete drain installations, wall relocations, kerb and gutter installation and road widening.
Section 1 - CLICK HERE
Section 2 - CLICK HERE
This new road scheme creates a link from Crewe Road, near King's Gym through to the Edgewater Way and the Grand Harbour area.
Plans are now in place for an eventual connection to Selkirk Drive and the Prospect area. When completed, this road will provide an alternate, parallel alignment to Crewe Road from CUC Roundabout to Red Bay Roundabout.
The Airport Road Connector (ACR) will assist commuters to the North Sound Area and will help to alleviate congestion at the Butterfield roundabout.
· Construction commenced in August 2020. Approximately 50,000 cu.yds of shot rock have been placed to date.
· The sub-base is now connected through from ACR Roundabout to North Sound. Construction expected to be completed by end of 2021.
· Next steps include culvert installation and continued sub-base construction